Who doesn’t love a baked pasta dish on an autumn or winters evening? For some people a typical pasta bake is not as figure friendly as they might like. So how can you make a pasta dish that pleases the palate but also pleases the figure? A wonderful and healthful alternative to traditional pasta baked dishes is an Italian chicken pasta bake. With simple and healthy ingredients this is a one-dish meal that will please any member of the family.
This recipe has also been created with a busy family in mind. Finding the time to create home cooked dishes is not always easy. Busy lifestyles and hectic schedules are not conducive to hours spent in the kitchen. This meal uses the benefits of a rotisserie-cooked chicken that is ready to cook and uncooked pasta. By simply sautéing vegetables, adding seasoning and baking this is the perfect easy meal for any night of the week.
Homemade Italian Chicken Pasta Bake
- ¼ cup Diced White Onion
- Two (2) cloves of garlic finely minced
- Two (2) small zucchini, diced into cubes
- Eight (8) ounces white mushroom, wiped clean and sliced
- Two (2) cans of 14 ½ ounce crushes tomatoes
- One (1) tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon white sugar
- One (1) Rotisserie cooked chicken
- Two (2) cups of shredded Italian cheese (mozzarella, parmesan or a combination)
- Nine (9) ounces uncooked chicken and bacon tortellini (or whatever tortellini you prefer)
1. To begin preheat your oven to 400 degrees. In the meantime you will lightly coat a 13 x 9” baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Take your rotisserie chicken and remove all of the bones. Once deboned you will want to coarsely chop the chicken to large bite size pieces.
3. Lightly spray a large skillet and heat to medium high heat. Once the skillet is brought to temperature add the quarter cup of onions and minced garlic and sauté for approximately one minute. You will want your onions to become translucent and begin to caramelize and get beautiful and sweet. Once the onions are translucent you will add your diced zucchini and sliced white mushrooms. The mildness of these two will pair perfectly with the perfect flavors of the onion and garlic. Begin to mix the vegetables together and continue sautéing for around 5 minutes. You will want to give the flavors time to marry and absorb.
4. After the vegetables are combined and soft you will add two cans of crushed tomatoes to the pan and stir your vegetable mix to combine. Once combined it’s time to season. Add one tablespoon of Italian Seasoning, ½ a teaspoon of cracked black pepper and ½ teaspoon of salt. To round out the flavors add ½ teaspoon of white sugar. Give the vegetable mix a good stir to thoroughly incorporate all of the flavors into each bite.
5. One incorporated you can turn off the heat. You will now want to add your chicken. You will use an entire rotisserie cooked chicken that has been deboned and coarsely chopped. Mix thoroughly.
6. Take your cheese and set aside one cup for later. Add the other cup to the chicken and vegetable mixture and stir.
7. In your baking dish you will pour the tortellini into the pan and flatten it into an even layer. Pour the chicken and vegetable mixture on top of the pasta and create an even layer. Pour the remaining cup of cheese on top.
8. Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 20 minutes or until the cheese is brown and bubbly on top.
9. Service with a garnish of fresh basil and grated Parmesan.
This is a dish that every member of the family will enjoy. It is hearty enough to become a feel good favorite in any house. With the vegetables and chicken it is lean enough for those who are counting calories. The flavors of the onion and garlic pair perfectly with the mildness of the zucchini and mushrooms while adding a healthy benefit. The tomato and chicken round out the flavors and create the perfect combination of flavors. With such a rich and thick sauce it will please any Italian food lover.