While the turkey is often the star of a holiday meal, side dishes are often just as important. There are many different options available for holiday side dishes, but the traditional baked macaroni and cheese, homemade stuffing, and roasted sweet potatoes continue to be popular choices.
Baked macaroni and cheese is truly the ultimate comfort food. The ingredients you will need for baked macaroni and cheese are:
- 1-lb elbow macaroni
- 1/2 c butter
- 1/2 c flour
- 1 to 2 c milk or cream
- 4 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1 to 2 c white cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp shallots, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 c bread crumbs
- 1/2 tbsp herbs such as thyme and rosemary
- 1 tbsp bacon
1. Boil the pasta until al dente. Drain the pasta and pour into a buttered baking dish.
2. Melt the butter in a medium sauce pot. Slowly stir in the flour until it forms a roux.
3. Whisk in the milk or cream with a wooden spoon until smooth.
4. Add in the grated parmesan cheese and grated white cheddar cheese and stir until it is completely melted.
5. Stir in the chopped shallots and salt and pepper.
6. Pour the cheese sauce over the cooked pasta.
7. Top the pasta with the breadcrumb, herb, bacon, parmesan cheese mixture.
8. Place in a preheated 350 degree oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes.
Another traditional holiday side dish is homemade stuffing. If you are looking for a nice twist on the classic bread stuffing try this cornbread stuffing with wild mushrooms. The ingredients you will need are:
Cornbread that has been dried out in the oven or left out overnight:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 1/2 c bacon, chopped
- 1 lb wild mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 c turkey or chicken broth
1. Break up or chop the cornbread into 1-inch cubes and set aside.
2. In a large skillet, melt the butter into the olive oil.
3. Add the onion, celery , carrots, and garlic and cook until the vegetables are softened.
4. Add the bacon and cook until crispy.
5. Add the mushrooms and cook until softened.
6. Stir in the oregano, salt, and pepper and transfer the mixture into a large bowl.
7. Stir in the cornbread and turkey or chicken broth until the bread is moistened.
8. Place the stuffing into a buttered baking dish and cover with foil.
9. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 minutes, covered. Remove the foil and bake another 15-20 minutes or until the top is browned and crispy.
To put a spin on the traditional baked sweet potatoes, give this recipe a try. Your guests will surely be impressed with this oven roasted sweet potato ragout with spicy chorizo sausage. The ingredients you will need for this dish are:
- 4 to 5 medium sized sweet potatoes
- Crumbled chorizo sausage
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 c molasses
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp butter
1. Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into 1-inch cubes. Par boil them for a few minutes, then drain them and set them aside.
2. Cook the crumbled chorizo sausage thoroughly.
3. In a small sauce pan, reduce the molasses, vanilla, butter, and spices down for a few minutes over low heat.
4. Place the sweet potatoes into a buttered baking dish and top them with the cooked chorizo and molasses reduction.
5. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 to 18 minutes.